The efficiency and effectiveness of the NCGMP is monitored and evaluated regularly by several methods, including:
Federal Advisory Committee
Government Performance and Results Act
The Government Performance and Results Act of 1993 (GPRA) was enacted to hold Federal agencies accountable for achieving program results; to improve internal management, program effectiveness, public accountability, and delivery of services; and to provide information on program effectiveness and efficiency.
NCGMP annual GPRA measures:
- Cumulative Outcome Measure: Percent of the United States covered (square miles) by at least one geologic map and made available to the public through the National Geologic Map Database.
- Output Measure: Annual production of geologic maps for the Nation (summed and represented as percent of the U.S. land area = 3,537,438.44 square miles) made available to the public through the National Geologic Map Database.
National Research Council Reports
The reports of the National Research Council (NRC) in the 1980s on the USGS and its geologic mapping effort helped shape the scope and direction of the future NCGMP.
- National Research Council, 1988,
- Geologic Mapping - Future Needs: Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press, 84 p.
- National Research Council, 1987,
- Geologic Mapping in the U.S. Geological Survey: Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press, 22 p.
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
AAAS 2006 Review - Guidance to the U.S. Geological Survey's National Cooperative Geologic Mapping Program